Hello Guest

Author Topic: Otter Internals Discussion  (Read 8818 times)

Kyle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Otter Internals Discussion
« on: June 30, 2015, 06:10:26 PM »
Hello!  Lately I've been thinking about getting Otter off of the SFML.Net train and putting it on something else, but I'm not sure if this is both necessary or worth it.  Some options are trying to go for a more direct route to openGL with C# and just cut out SFML, or port it to Monogame, or maybe there's some other options out there I'm not aware of.

I'm wary of the portability of SFML, and also the support of SFML.Net in general.  SFML.Net right now still remains to be behind in the recent SFML updates and I'm not sure how much of a priority it is for the SFML team.  Also I've spoken to a few devs that have deeply regretted their choice of SFML when it came time to port their games to various platforms, and that's a little scary!

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts on the matter please let me know! This isn't something that I'm going to be immediately doing, but will be something for the future.

Fruckert

• Total Square
    • View Profile
Re: Otter Internals Discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 06:38:18 PM »
I'm already somewhat familiar with Monogame, it's pretty decent.
It's been a while since I've used it, but it seems like it's grown up fairly nicely. Porting might take some effort, though, because of the fairly large API differences.

Fatesauce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 08:53:20 PM »
OpenTK is supposed to be pretty sweet. My experience across C# engines/frameworks is pretty weak though so any recommendation i make has about as much credibility as....something. You get it lol.

Fruckert

• Total Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 10:48:39 PM »
OpenTK is pretty good, but from what I understand it's pretty "low-level"...for a .NET thing, at least.
Basically, it's just a binding to OpenGL and some other stuff. MonoGame uses it, actually.
Might be worth checking out, actually.

Commanderstitch

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • commanderstitch Homepage (coming someday)
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 11:23:22 PM »
I don't know what a good answer would be. I felt like monogame seemed hard to use. But i've never really used it.
I am interested in seeing what the pros and cons of switching to different systems would be.
I thought sfml was built on opengl.
doesn't that mean you have access to whatever open gl has to offer, whatever c# has to offer, etc?
- Commanderstitch

Kyle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 01:28:46 AM »
Yeah SFML is built on OpenGL I believe, and I think in SFML.Net you have the option to use openTK along with SFML and call openGL functions or whatever.

The Otter API and code wouldn't change (ideally) I wouldn't want to really sacrifice any of the workflow for different underlying tech.  SFML however is not optimized at all where as Monogame is (for example the sprite batching in Monogame is way better than anything I can code from scratch in Otter)  If I used openTK by itself I'd probably have to look into creating my own sprite batching methods which doesn't sound too fun, haha ;p

ericmbernier

• Sometimes I make games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 06:37:33 PM »
I hopped over to using HaxeFlixel from Otter, mostly due to SFML.Net and its lack of portability. Now, I of course am just one person, so my decisions mean very little, but I figured I'd share my experiences. Otherwise, Otter was really the perfect framework, coming from FlashPunk.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:43:55 PM by ericmbernier »

Kyle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 08:18:54 PM »
Yeah Haxe is neat but I really really like C# haha