Hello Guest

Author Topic: Otter Updates  (Read 158265 times)

Kyle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Otter Updates
« on: December 03, 2013, 04:31:20 PM »
Going to start posting update logs on the forum, yahoo~

* Added usable version of RichText
* Added PixelCollider which can collide with BoxCollider, GridCollider, and PixelCollider currently.
* Updated some rendering stuff for Text
* Added "LoadGrid()" for Tilemap
* Added "ColorString" for Color
* More documentation
* Added "AddPosition()" for Entity
* Minor fixes and tweaks

<3
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:35:31 PM by Kyle »

Kyle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Otter Updates
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 11:43:10 PM »
Here's some quick details about the update on Jan 20th, 2014

* basicmovement tweak
Just changed an int to a float, but this might be a bad idea, not sure yet.

* statemachine bug fix
I think there was a bug where the first state's enter wasn't being triggered, and I think I fixed it.

* entity remove components fix
Changed how components are added and removed to be more safe and wait until the end of an update to do it.

* better mouse locking
You can now lock the mouse to the center of the screen and use the delta mouse positions to track the cursor position.  If you use this option you can still just use Input.MouseX and Input.MouseY normally.

* debugger fixes
The mouse unlocks when the debugger is opened, and I think I fixed some bugs with hiding and showing the debugger.

* session construtor public
Just in case you want to extend session, but I'm not sure if I want to keep it this way.

* updated SFML dlls
I found that someone made new builds of SFML so I was able to update the dll files to fix some bugs (like only being able to click on the title bar to gain focus)

* grid graphic tweaks
Honestly I forgot what I did here, I might've just changed the constructor or something of grid.

* image shake property (still weird now though)
Images can now shake but this doesn't make too much sense because the shake is updated at every render call (instead of update)

* rich text documentation
Added some more comments to rich text

* debugger "quit" command
Added quit to do the same thing as exit.

* rand can use a Range
Rand.Float() can use a Range now.

* Util additions
Added some stuff to Util.

* AutoTimer added
A utility component class that might be useful for some stuff.

* Color moved
Color moved to Graphics because I feel like that makes more sense.

floatvoid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 02:26:37 AM »
* updated SFML dlls
I found that someone made new builds of SFML so I was able to update the dll files to fix some bugs (like only being able to click on the title bar to gain focus)

@floatvoid on twitter

Kyle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 07:59:55 PM »
YEAH Now I just have to figure out how to give the window focus when it starts.

More fixes coming soon along with merging in that Linux and OS X stuff that is in the pull requests.

Kyle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 01:08:58 AM »
Updates for Feb 2nd, 2014!

https://bitbucket.org/kylepulver/otter/commits/22f821797acd59957df381bef7a499ebe5a8b0d4

Buttons can now use mouse wheel deltas to trigger.
Basically a button can respond to the mouse wheel going up or going down.  Might be useful.

Basic Movement has a fix for the diagonal movement speed issue.
When moving diagonally in a standard vector movement system you actually go faster since the length of the vector 1, 1 is longer than 1, 0 or 0, 1.  BasicMovement now has the option of a super dirty fix of clamping the vector lengths to .7071 when diagonal.

StateMachine supports methods in extended classes.
Some internal fixing of the reflection that the statemachine uses to get methods.

Entity Overlap function added
Overlap can now be used to check for a specific entity.

Mouse lock fixes
Fixed some various bugs involving the new mouse locking feature introduced in the last big update.

Scene.GetEntity added
Get the first entity of a specific class in the scene.

Collider fix
Fixed a crash on null bug in CollideEntity I think.

Debugger multiline log fix
The log will now look nicer when using Log to print multiple lines.

XML extensions changed to xmlnode
Figured out that XmlNode is way better to use than XmlElement.

glide updates
The lastest updates to Glide are now merged in.

rand functions
More somewhat useful random functions I think.

other stuff
I forget, maybe some Util functions or something.

linux, os x stuff
Merged in the .csproj file from Ventero for hopefully linux and os x support with Mono?

Kyle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 06:29:37 PM »
I might've broke and then re-fixed the .csproj file today, let me know if anyone is having issues!

Kyle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 01:18:25 PM »
Just a quick update regarding Spine animations... I need to figure out a clean way to offer the SpineAnimation class in Otter without also including the Spine c-sharp runtime.  Apparently you need a full Spine license to actually download the c-sharp runtime, so I can't just straight up include it in Otter.  I guess I can make a separate .csproj for the Spine stuff?  Argh, what a pain :I

Kyle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 02:27:48 PM »
Pushed an update today after way too long.

Ripped Spine Animations out of otter because of the Spine license, which is pretty annoying :(

The Spine support can now be found here: https://bitbucket.org/kylepulver/otterspine

So many fixes and changes over the past month.  The important ones are the angle changes (should be consistent now) and various tweaks to graphics and collisions.  Experimenting with changing the rendering for Sprites to vertices instead of using the SFML Sprite (which is just a wrapper for vertices anyway.)

If I broke anything please let me know!

Kyle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 11:49:05 AM »
Coroutines!

Added a Coroutine manager mostly created by Chevy Ray.  You can now do Coroutine.Instance.Start(YourFunction());  Standard coroutine rules apply: Use IEnumerator, and yield return 0 for when you want to pause.  Included a WaitForSeconds function and a WaitForFrames function.

Kyle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 04:27:33 PM »
Upcoming Changes
- Ripped out all of the "Zip Assets" stuff.  This is something better handled by individual needs vs. Otter trying to handle it nicely.
- Redoing all of the Graphic classes constructors to be more consistent, and more elegantly handle Atlases, Textures, or Texture paths.
- Removing ImageBatch.cs for a better constructed Decals.cs class.
- SpriteBatch.cs:  Spritebatching might be usable in the next version, but not sure yet.  (Might not make a performance difference at all, actually.)
- Some RichText.cs clean up.
- Cleaned up/went over a lot of the Graphics code to make rendering nicer, I think.
- Might be able to figure out how to properly implement the "Trim" option in TexturePacker, but that might be a post 1.0 update.

These changes aren't live yet, and probably wont be for a little while yet, but just a heads up that some of the API will be changed in the new update.

Kyle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 02:21:26 AM »
Also I think I actually know how to do branches now so there'll be a "dev" branch along with the "default" branch soon.  The default will hopefully be the latest stable, while the dev will have my active changes and will have no guarantee not to be in a working state all the time ;D

Kyle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 07:42:46 PM »
Super massive commit is now live.  After this I'm going to start a dev branch I think that will make it so I don't have to just drop huge commits onto the repo every 2 weeks.

https://bitbucket.org/kylepulver/otter/commits/all

ericmbernier

• Sometimes I make games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 06:54:05 AM »
Awesome! It looks like 1.0 is almost here :D

I guess I'll update my tutorials soon, to accommodate all of these updates. :)

Kyle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 03:04:18 PM »
Yeah I think soon will be version 0.9.5 which will be "test everything and fix bugs until I think it's actually ready to be called 1.0"

I'm now actively using the "dev" branch to push immediate changes, you can view commits here: https://bitbucket.org/kylepulver/otter/commits/branch/dev

Before what I was doing was basically working on another copy of Otter, and then dumping all the changes in when I felt it was ready for another "stable" release.  Now you can see all my change sin REAL TIME and whenever I hit some kind of stable milestone I'll merge the dev branch back into the default branch.

Kyle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 05:00:26 PM »
WHOOPS there are some things messed up with the Tilemap so I'll get those fixed ASAP.

Edit: should be fixed now!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 06:27:17 PM by Kyle »