Hello Guest

Author Topic: A level editor that's not garbage?  (Read 6254 times)

Dogarooski

• View Profile
A level editor that's not garbage?
« on: October 06, 2015, 02:14:15 PM »
Sorry if my title sounded rude, but I'm just really pissed right now.
"Ogmo Editor" isn't working right now, and whenever I try to save my levels it gives me an unhandled exception error thing (basically telling me I have a space in my project name, even though I don't).
I tried reinstalling, and the same thing happened.
(Also, the editor is extremely slow with a 3000x3740 room and 32x32 tiles, so either way this map editor won't suffice.)

This leaves me without a proper level editor to make my game, and I'm thinking of making a level editor myself.

So, are there any other level editors that are compatible with Otter?
And if Tiled is supported, then a tutorial would be appreciated, thanks!

Kyle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A level editor that's not garbage?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 03:49:04 PM »
Tiled isn't officially supported but writing your own loading system for tiled levels shouldn't be that tough.  Some people have been working on writing a proper integration with Tiled that might make it into the official branch.

Basically anything is compatible with Otter as long as you just write some code to parse the data that the editor spits out.  The options for level editors out there are still surprisingly limited, as most projects out there are half finished, barely working messes it seems.  Ogmo and Tiled are the leading ones that I could see, and even those have their respective issues.

misthema

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 02:29:51 AM »
Just to raise awareness, I made a minimalistic support for TileD: http://otter2d.com/forum/index.php/topic,120.msg710.html#msg710

Commanderstitch

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • commanderstitch Homepage (coming someday)
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 07:35:57 PM »
I've had no problems with multiple layers in tiledsharp. :-) works great with tiled and is fairly pretty fast. :-)
- Commanderstitch