Hello Guest

Author Topic: UI Manager  (Read 4941 times)

Atrius

• View Profile
UI Manager
« on: March 08, 2014, 11:04:06 AM »
I spent some time building a title screen and some menu options, to which I then created a menu grouping and menu item system. Only to find that there exists a UI Manager in the Otter2D framework!

Excited to not have to waste time doing this I started digging into it. I'm having trouble understanding the design of this system.

Do I have to create the RichText, and then add that to a UIElement which I then add to a UIMenu and then to a UIManager? Using this idea I can't find a way to add the UI manager to the scene.

The UIListMenu has options for adding strings, but I don't see that the code actually creates any corresponding graphics.

Any examples or tips?

In hindsight this probably belongs in the Help area Kyle.

pat

• View Profile
Re: UI Manager
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 01:59:04 PM »
I think this is in the works still and any menu items in Otter currently should not be used.

Kyle will chime in likely on the details, but I had a similar question a few weeks ago and he said its just not fully in.

Atrius

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 07:00:56 PM »
That would explain why I wasn't able to work through it, the code didn't seem cohesive. I'll use my homebrewed methods for now until this is more fleshed out. I won't submit any pull requests since it's already in development.

Kyle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 01:58:07 PM »
Ah yeah sorry the UI stuff isn't really ready to roll yet.  I have it working in an example project that I never finished, and it is usable to a certain degree, but I haven't really explained how it works at all so it's probably super confusing to use.  It's meant for building keyboard/controller based input menu systems, and it's pretty shaky right now.  Eventually I want to go back to it, but after every core component of the engine is working well enough.