Hello Guest

Author Topic: humble beginnings ?  (Read 5122 times)

Inkbird

• View Profile
humble beginnings ?
« on: June 11, 2014, 06:03:57 PM »
Hey guys i come from a c++ background..mainly homework for my major in college. but i've notice kyle say he used the flashpunk engine before he made otter and im wondering if i should also take time with flashpunk then go to otter hoping it would be a smother process. But i also wanted to know what was everyone's start in indie dev? did you pick up a engine and stuck with it or jumped around , made small projects then onto big ones or what? just curious ?

ericmbernier

• Sometimes I make games.
    • View Profile
Re: humble beginnings ?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 07:09:47 AM »
Hi Inkbird!

If I was in your situation, assuming you want to make PC games, I'd just dive right into Otter. FlashPunk is a great framework, but if you don't have any intentions of releasing any Flash games, and you're seriously considering using Otter then your time, in my opinion, is best spent with Otter.

I've released nearly a dozen FlashPunk games, about half of which were for sponsorships, so I've spent a decent amount of time with FlashPunk as well. While using Otter, sometimes I'll find myself looking for stuff that exists in FlashPunk that isn't the same in Otter. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I just want to point out that FlashPunk and Otter's APIs aren't identical. Lastly, I've moved on from FlashPunk as I feel limited by what Flash is capable of, and Otter seemed like a nice fit.

Kyle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 01:49:25 PM »
My first engine was Klik and Play back in the early 90s.  Then I moved to Click n Create (the next product in that series) and then Multimedia Fusion, and then Multimedia Fusion 2.0.  I made my first actual released game with Multimedia Fusion 2.

After that I went to Game Maker, feeling the limitations of MMF's event and action system.  I learned GML and started making games with scripting instead of check boxes.  I had some previous programming experience with (very basic) C++, PHP, and Javascript, so I wasn't totally entering foreign territory.

A few years later Chevy released Flashpunk which felt very similar to Game Maker's style, so I jumped into that.  It took me like 9 or 10 months to get up to speed with it, and I used that for a number of years.

And now here I am today with Otter! ;D

I honestly don't think learning Flashpunk to then learn Otter is a good idea.  If you want to make flash games, then by all means learn Flashpunk or Flixel or any of the other frameworks out there, but don't think of Flashpunk as a necessary stepping stone.  Sure, things might be easier if happened to have used Flashpunk in the past, but if you want to learn C# and Otter just dive into C# and Otter ;)

Inkbird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 04:01:17 PM »
oh wow ok, i'll just skip flixel now and stay with otter 2d. so as far as jumping in is concerned im assuming most of you guys on here just look at documentation and experiment till it works.