Hello Guest

Author Topic: Reckless Advance  (Read 3693 times)

saint11

• View Profile
Reckless Advance
« on: June 14, 2014, 10:11:26 PM »

Reckless Advance
Reckless Advance is actually a remake of a game that I made a while ago for a Jam. The original one is just a simple infinite runner where you shoot aliens, you can play it [ur=http://www.kongregate.com/games/thesaint11/reckless-advancel]here[/url] if you are curious.

The new one that I'm working on now is much more complex, though. My main references are Oregon Trail, Receiver and Star Fox. The idea is that you control that tank and it's advancing to the enemies' mothership. You can't control the tank movement, it's always advancing, but you control various systems in the tank, in a very confusing way actually - you use a lot of keyboard keys (QWERTYUIOP). Also, the player has a crew, and the crew can be placed in different areas of the tank.
I'm really not sure if this will work, but the frustration of trying to control all this tank systems should be part of the fun.

Progression
The game is divided in levels, and after each level you can choose your path in a branch, something like the map in FTL. Levels are designed individually, but the map is created by selecting random levels (they have difficulty tiers). This is an informed choice, and levels have rewards, like crew members or more systems for your tank.

Technical Stuff
Engine: Otter (Obviously :P)
Level Editor: Inkscape (I made a crude parser for SVG files, I found out that Inkscape can be quite useful when dealing with non-tiled levels)
Art: Manga Studio and Photoshop
Animation: I plan to use Spriter, but I couldn't successfully parse a Spriter animation on Otter yet. André Kent will probably make most animations.

Here's some gif of what I got so far, most of the art is NOT final, but it should be something similar in the end.

That's it for now! I'll try to keep this updated!

Inkbird

• View Profile
Re: Reckless Advance
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 08:08:08 AM »
wow the artstyle looks amazing!

saint11

• View Profile
Re: Reckless Advance
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 10:02:48 AM »
Updating with some new concept art :)