Hello Guest

Author Topic: Updates/Mobile  (Read 4010 times)

jasin

• View Profile
Updates/Mobile
« on: October 19, 2014, 05:41:38 PM »
Howdy! I just stumbled upon this last night. I have been wanting to do some small game stuff on the side (I work with none game .Net most the time) and this seems a pretty good place to start. Was actually reading the adventure tile tutorial.

Just curious - this says it's based on SMFL 2, 2.1 is now out and they are looking at 2.2 coming out soon. Are there any plans to support the newer changes in the future? Also I was curious about mobile support. It seems they now have a beta for android support available. Would it be possible for anything to work on android or would there be a lot of work on otter's side needed for those same mobile additions?

Thanks. Not that I'll ever have anything that could use all the new stuff - Just seeing what your roadmap is.

Otter doesn't support any sort of mobile development, as SFML doesn't.  If SFML ever supports mobile, then maybe, but Otter is not nearly optimized enough to run on a mobile device right now.

Kyle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Updates/Mobile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
Yo! Otter currently does run on a recent build on SFML.net 2.1.  It's totally up to what SFML 2.2 does and how it runs on mobile.  For me personally, since I'm really the only one working on Otter, and I don't do mobile games, the priority is low.  However if someone more interested in mobile comes along and wants to contribute to the project to make it more mobile friendly then that would be cool.  It's just down to the fact that it's only really me working on this as I use it for my various game projects which all target PC (and probably mac + linux.)

The main thing right now that makes it not the best idea for mobile is the lack of render batching.  Each graphic in Otter will be its own draw call right now, which generally is fine for PCs, but for mobile it's pretty devastating to performance to have a lot of draw calls.  I'm not totally sure how other engines optimize for this, but so far my experiments with batching rendering with SFML.Net hasn't seen any sort of performance upgrade on PC, and I'm not sure why or if I'm just doing something totally wrong there.

When SFML.net 2.2 drops I'll definitely look into it and hook it up to Otter to see what I can update and improve.  If they've done some stuff behind the scenes to make rendering better on mobile then maybe it will be as easy as just compiling Otter for mobile, buuuuut I doubt it will be that easy haha ;D

jasin

• View Profile
Re: Updates/Mobile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding of 2.1. Completely understand it is just you, I was just curious your plans. Like I said I doubt I'll make anything that needs anything.

I want to thank you for your time and knowledge in not only creating this but releasing it for others to use for free. Not many c# frameworks out there.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:23:14 PM by jasin »