Hello Guest

Author Topic: Welcome to Otter!  (Read 8197 times)

Commanderstitch

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • commanderstitch Homepage (coming someday)
Welcome to Otter!
« on: May 28, 2015, 08:20:17 PM »
Just thought there could be a thread where people could say hello and find a place to introduce themselves.

I'm Benjamin and I've been doing odds and ends here picking up what i've could in game dev. I got into flashpunk back in 2012, Just as chevy was on his way out. I consider it one of the most exciting times to be part of flashpunk. However, he lost interest that year and moved onto other things. Since then, I've been moving all over the place looking for better options! Hey, i found otter. This is a fun little library and community. So far this stuff is pretty neat and i'm excited to learn it better and be a part of this. Good luck to all on your games!

Be sure to have a "games made with otter" section because that's always great.
A list of really useful tutorials and options are always really good too.

Did anyone mention if there was an integration with tiled? I know there was for ogmo, that i've seen so far. If this is based on sfml, do you think i could use the integration that was already built for that? (i'm going to run some tests and find out myself, so don't feel obliged to answer)

I currently work at a software development company here in Dublin, Ohio. They use c# all the time, so i thought it appropriate to find a nice game lib in c#. kudo's to you kyle for coming up with this, aaaaand! it's based on flashpunk which i'm more used to using. :-)

-Commanderstitch
- Commanderstitch

Fatesauce

• View Profile
Re: Welcome to Otter!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 11:10:07 PM »
Ello chaps!

My name's Rhys, but Fatesauce is my handle almost everywhere.  Im from a smelly little city in New Zealand called Rotorua.  Seriously, it smells. Geothermal activity and sulfur and stuff.  Not much of a community in this town as far as programming goes but hey, who needs friends when you have the interwebs! Amirite?

Im pretty green as far as C# goes. Only been coding in it for a couple of weeks.  Programmed a bunch in Java though, as a hobby.  Played around with a bunch of different Java engines such as JMonkey, libgdx, and Slick2D.  Getting in to C# because I want to fart about with windows apps at some point after Windows 10 is released... I reckon the changes they're making to the god awful Windows Store could be promising! Im optimistic anyway.

Been practicing C# writing text based RPG like games using windows forms.  Which is great fun.  But now I want to play with graphics.  Did alot of trialing of various engines, did some of my own stuff using System.Drawing etc to make stuff happen.  Alot of the snazzy feature rich cross platform opentk/opengl super charged fuel injected engines I looked at seemed great, and when im awesome enough to produce an entire, publishable game on everything other than windows I might commit alot more of my time to learning these engines.  I did find a lot of their documentation/wiki's/tutorials to be...crap...in fairness.  Either half done, incomplete, or in really bad english.

Basically all I wanted was a fairly simple 2d engine so i could make my programming work behind some dead simple sprites and pretty pictures instead of windows forms.  Ive spent a bit of time reading up on Otter (docs, forum posts, videos), and i must say im pretty chuffed with what ive found, its pretty much exactly what i want, and im looking forward to seeing what damage i can do!....not to Otter....hopefully not my computer either....possibly braincells due to lake of sleep/excess caffeine.

So here I am!
Hello, world!

Kyle

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 12:21:19 AM »
The Otter empire grows :O

Fatesauce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 12:51:38 AM »